Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > ProSteel > Support

Support Technical and other questions related to the use of ProSteel

Old 8th July 2015, 04:48 PM   #1
lestergeorge11

Default second order bending moments for splice connections between points of restraints

Hi, I am now being asked for calculations for the justification of splice connections in respect of second order bending where the splice is used between restraints.
Can this somehow be incorporated within the splice calculation as the manual calculations in respect of this show a quite dramatic reduction in the capacity of the beam/column section being used.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
lestergeorge11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
NickN

Default Re: second order bending moments for splice connections between points of restraints

Lestergeorge11 - did you get any help on your query - i have just posted similar not having seen yours.
NickN
NickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: second order bending moments for splice connections between points of restraints

Sorry not to have looked at this before - I;m just back from a 3+ week trip to UK. I'll come back with more information in the next day or two.
Old 22nd August 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Sorry not to have come back on this before now.

As per SCI Paper AD243 Splices within unrestrained lengths, for unrestrained beams with flange plate splices the next releases of ProSteel and EuroBeam will include an additional check comparing the I major and minor values of the flange plates are not less than those of the spliced member. Note that this is a recommendation not a requirement.

For end plate connections, I am still considering this. The paper says that in a connection with end plates it is generally more difficult to achieve the same stiffness as the member. It is likely that relatively thick end plates will be needed. I did a quick check on a typically sized end plate connection and considering minor axis bending the member would fail long before the splice did. More work needed.