Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > EuroBeam > Support

Support Technical and other questions related to the use of EuroBeam

Old 9th March 2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Richard Moss

Default Additional Moments in Column Design

I had a lunchtime session with my colleagues yesterday, to introduce them to using EuroBeam for steel design, instead of ProSteel. (We'll tackle timber next week) The only serious objection they raised was that EuroBeam does not have the facility to enter Additional moments to design of a column, where ProSteel does. Is this something you could introduce, or is there a reason why it can't be?

A couple of other small gripes: on steel beam design, when selecting masonry type, mortar etc for padstone design, each time you do a new beam, the values default to clay brick 7N strength, M2 mortar etc. In ProSteel, after the first beam, they default to the previous values entered, which is much more efficient when you're doing a job with several beams in one building.

And, when selecting Support Conditions for an unrestrained beam, if you want to change from condition 5 to say 7, you have to click the DOWN arrow. In ProSteel you click the UP arrow, which is more intuitive!

But just to let you know, the overall response to EuroBeam was broadly positive, and I think my colleagues will almost all be migrating to it in the next weeks. Particularly welcome is the ability to mix steel and timber members and transfer loads from one to another directly, which is a great improvement on the SuperBeam / ProSteel regime.

Regards

Richard
Richard Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Additional Moments in Column Design

Thanks for the feedback, Richard. In response:

1. Yes, you can enter additional moments on columns as in ProSteel, but it's done in a different way: in the load table you enter 'Y' for a major axis moment, 'Z' for a minor axis moment, followed by the duration code ('G': dead, 'QA' residential etc) and the moment.

2. I'll check out the mortar strength point: if the current value isn't the default for new beams added to the project, it should be, and I'll make any necessary change.

3. Yes, when we changed the design of the restraint condition selector, we reversed the key order to reflect the idea of going up or down a list, but on reflection I think you're right - that the old method is better - so I'll change it back for the next release. Note also that pressing '1'-'7' instantly selects that option.

Regards

Tony Bryer

Last edited by Tony Bryer; 9th March 2017 at 11:33 AM.
Tony Bryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Richard Moss

Thanks for that, Tony - all much appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Richard Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Tony Bryer
Administrator

EuroBeam 3.01b has now been uploaded which implements points 2 and 3 above.