Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > Structural Design - not software related > Steel design

Steel design Topics related to the design of structural steelwork to BS449 or BS5950

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Peter Lodge

Default Use of software by non-engineers

I have just updated the latest SuperBeam issue and I am disturbed that as stated - as requested by a user - that M30 bolts should be included. This shows that the user in question should not be using the software as he cannot be designing safe structures due to lack of engineering experience or relevant qualifications.

Old 18th June 2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Use of software by non-engineers

I don't want to pass comment on the user who made the original request, but stand by my comment in the readme file that I am of the view that in nearly every case the use of M30 bolts will not be the most appropriate choice. The only case where they might be would perhaps be for an end plate splice in a larger UC used as a beam where getting enough tensile capacity low down was an issue.

In the very early days SuperBeam would not allow a beam span greater than 9.999m as I was not totally sure that the program was appropriate for such members. The limit was removed when a user told me he did not appreciate being treated like a child and was quite capable of making his own decisions as to suitability of particular members!