Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > SuperBeam > Support

Support Technical and other questions related to the use of SuperBeam

Old 2nd December 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
John Cranna

Default use of BS449

I have had the over zealous building control officer from Caerphilly Council reject my use of 449 saying that it is not on the list of approved documents. I sent him Tony's notes on the use of 449 and reminded the BCO that he has been approving my 449 designs since 2004 when it was removed from the list of approved documents. Like a politican he avoided this point and Tony's creed on using 449.
Has anyone else been having similar arguments?
John Cranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Tom Dawson

Default Re: use of BS449

I think you can probably take that as a 'No', John!

I regularly submit to London Boroughs of Harrow, Brent, Enfield, Barnet and also to Hertsmere and Broxbourne Borough Councils.
No problems encountered.
Tom
Tom Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Disallowing the use of BS449 would make sense if there was some concern that it under designs, but the the opposite is true: in some cases BS449 will require a slightly larger steel section than BS5950, and for unrestrained beams EC3 often allows a further relaxation in size. As Dr David Brown of SCI has pointed out many times, changing codes doesn't make a steel section any stronger or weaker; all you can do is to increase or decrease the factor of safety, hopefully to more accurately reflect what is desired.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Tony Gage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dawson View Post
I think you can probably take that as a 'No', John!

I regularly submit to London Boroughs of Harrow, Brent, Enfield, Barnet and also to Hertsmere and Broxbourne Borough Councils.
No problems encountered.
Tom
I have only just found this thread. I am a sole practioner who regularily submits calculations to Harrow and Hertsmere. Until recently I used SB4 and BS449. However I have been asked by several Council's that it is politic not to name, to submit only using BS5950. It emerged that the Agency used by those Councils, lacked any Engineers with experience of BS449 as did the Council themselves! No submission was actually refused but delays and silly queries suggested that to comply would be easier.

On the other hand, I have recently been using the Eurobeam programme for all timber and steel beam calculations and to date have not received any rejections or even "official" comment. "Unofficially" I been contacted a Local Checking Agency to ask why I was not staying with BS5950. They have had very few Eurocode submissions to check and found that the time required far exceed that covered by their fee. Could I not revert back to the older codes!
Tony Gage is offline   Reply With Quote