Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > ProSteel > Support

Support Technical and other questions related to the use of ProSteel

Old 29th May 2017, 04:36 AM   #1
Brian Franklin

Default Saving prosteel as demo

When I save a prosteel calculation, it is being saved as a demo version.
I have just saved a calculation using a 305x305x118 UC. When I have gone to save copies of the calculation the demo version is changing the beam size saying it cant find the beam designed.
Can you help me.
Also when I design a splice
a) the calculation page goes blank
b) I have been told sometimes by checking engineers that the design is not to current code (in England)
Brian Franklin
Brian Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 05:01 AM   #2
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Saving prosteel as demo

The demo version steel section library only includes sections with a rolling weight of 50kg/m or less. If you load a calculation produced by the full version which uses a larger section into the demo version, the section won't be found, thus the error.

Re doing the splice design makes the calculation window go blank, I can't reproduce this here, but your report is noted.

Re code compliance, was this with reference to splice calculations in particular, or relating to BS5950 which has now officially been replaced by Eurocode 3, though it's likely to remain in use for a good while yet. See our web page http://www.superbeam.co.uk/bs449.htm - it's written with particular reference to BS449, but now also applies to BS5950.
Old 31st May 2017, 02:46 AM   #3
Brian Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bryer View Post
The demo version steel section library only includes sections with a rolling weight of 50kg/m or less. If you load a calculation produced by the full version which uses a larger section into the demo version, the section won't be found, thus the error.

Re doing the splice design makes the calculation window go blank, I can't reproduce this here, but your report is noted.

Re code compliance, was this with reference to splice calculations in particular, or relating to BS5950 which has now officially been replaced by Eurocode 3, though it's likely to remain in use for a good while yet. See our web page http://www.superbeam.co.uk/bs449.htm - it's written with particular reference to BS449, but now also applies to BS5950.
Im using the full version but for some reason whenever i save the calculation its shown as demo
Old 31st May 2017, 02:48 AM   #4
Brian Franklin

I'm using the full version but when i save the calculation it saves as demo.
Old 31st May 2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Sorry, I may be missing something here but I'm not sure as to what you mean by saving as demo? Although the demo and full versions of the program are different, the project files are identical. Can you expand please.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:00 PM   #6
motorphotos

Hi Tony

I think what Brian is saying is that he has a fully working and I assume
licenced copy of prosteel but when he saves the project for some reason it thinks its a demo version so when he re opens the file the program does not load the full steel section file - as you say its limited to beams less than 50 kg and the section size he has is 118kg - I have not been able to replicate it but it might be there is also a demo version on the system that needs to be removed as the file setting might be pointing to the wrong version ?

I have had the same problem with the splice being a blank page BUT this is due to the splice setting out not working so bolts are too close to edges etc
but rather than get the first bit of the check that shows this and where the dimensions fail it just gives a blank screen when the setting out is too far away to even be close - if you look at the box with the splice setting out its normally obvious so you might have for example cross section of bolts at 54mm on a 133 wide flange with M20 bolts so by increasing this to 70mm it then works and you get the calculation - it just means reading the setting out figures and working out why its failing normally something quite obvious - there is nothing wrong with the calculation once the setting out is sorted

regards

Motorphotos
motorphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Thanks, what you say makes sense. Brian, please check the steel data file name in Configuration, User Setup, File Names and Locations. It should be EuroSteelCF.dta (case immaterial); the demo file is EuroSteelDemo.dta. If you're seeing the latter, click on the button at the end of the line and you should be able to select the correct file. If this doesn't resolve things, please come back.

I'll check out the splice calc issue again - thanks for the lead as to where to look.
Old 9th June 2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Brian Franklin

its C:\Prosteel\GT7Steel.dta
Old 9th June 2017, 11:19 PM   #9
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Sorry, my brain was in EuroBeam mode! The correct current file for ProSteel is GT7Steel.dta. Download link sent by email so you can reinstall