Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > ProSteel > User feedback and requests

User feedback and requests User comments on ProSteel and requests for future enhancements

Old 15th December 2009, 02:02 PM   #1
sellam

Thumbs down Something horrible happened!

I have just downloaded and installed the new version (5.40d), started a new project, a new beam with simple udls. It came up with a 178x102UB (nice!), select destabalising loads and support conditions 7 for each end - still shows 178UB. But if you save the project and close Prosteel down and restart Prosteel and open the project the beam has changed to a 203UB .
Now, I didnt realise this at first, only after I found out that things were going pear shaped when I, during my first design session, sellected twin beams, apply, tripple beams, apply and then back to single. The calculation sheet was different from the steel design parameters form. for example, the form suggested (design) 3No 203UBs and the calc sheet listed 3No 127UBs (design).
Now then I selected twin and then single beam, the calc sheet remained on 3No 127UBs (design) and the form suggested single 127UB (design). Interestingly the project listed a single 127UB as did the calc sheet title.
If I save and close and reopen its back to a single 203UC (design).

HELP!!!!
sellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Something horrible happened!

Thanks for the report. What you're seeing is a little bug that has been there for many years. The issue is that the data entry dialogs included keyboard accelerators, a throwback to the days when mouse use was a new thing.

Keyboard accelerators show up in dialogs if you press the [Alt] key, so for example one of the steel grade radio buttons was then shown as S275 - you could select this radio button by clicking on it, tabbing to it and pressing the space bar, or, since it had an accelerator, pressing Alt+7. The gotcha is that if you press '7' on its own and the currently selected control (e.g. another radio button) in the dialog doesn't absorb it, it is then offered round the dialog as if Alt had also been pressed.

So what you're seeing is that on the beam edit dialog steel page if you selected the end restraint condition by pressing a numeric key rather than clicking on the arrows or using the cursor up and down keys, the key was then passed on, so '1', '2' and '3' selected this number of members, '5' selected S355 and '7' S275. This wouldn't happen if you selected the end restraint condition by clicking on the Up/Down arrows or used the cursor keys to scroll through the options.

I've just posted mildly reworked SuperBeam 4.56d and ProSteel 5.40d in which the accelerators have been removed so this will no longer happen. You can check if you have the latest version by selecting a beam or column edit dialog and then holding down the Alt key. In the latest version nothing happens; in the pre-fix version the accelerators are underlined.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
sellam

I only used the mouse click to select the options. Only in the load entry do I use the alt key.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Tony Bryer
Administrator

In that case I do not know what was happening: I can't replicate it here. If you still have problems with the revised upload please let me know.
Old 16th December 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
sellam

I have uploaded the new version.
opened the project...
design beam... single 203UC.
double click on calc sheet to open dialog, click on steel, click on twin radio button, click apply (not closing dialog).
Calc sheet: 2No152UC
Calc sheet head: 2No 152UC
Project list: 203UC

Click single radio button, click apply (not closing dialog)
calc sheet: 2No 152UC
Calc sheet head: 152x152UC
Project list 203UC

Close dialog box
Project list changes to 152UC

Print. shows 2No 152UC

save, close, open project again.
calc sheet: 203UC
Head: 203UC
Project list 203UC

I have just tried with the dialog bot set to close on apply - still not right!
PS I am using Vista 64 if that makes a difference.

Last edited by sellam; 16th December 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 16th December 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Yes, I can confirm this and am working on a fix as a matter of urgency
Old 16th December 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Now fixed in 5.40e (also SuperBeam 4.56e), both available through the program Misc > Checkl Website for Updates option.
Old 16th December 2009, 04:35 PM   #8
sellam

It's still not quite right. There is a problem when you click between check a section and design a section.

In the steel design parameters, click on a section size to check. All looks ok.

Now click on the consider weight (or depth) radio button and it still remains on the check beam with the same section even if it fails.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Further to our telephone conversation, I cannot replicate this here in release 5.40e. For anyone experiencing the same problem, before doing anything else please select Help > About and check that the release you are using is 5.40e or later. If you still have problems please get back to me.
Old 17th December 2009, 01:15 PM   #10
sellam

I am using 5.40e. I tested it again making a new project with 5.40e and it worked fine.

But when I loaded a project (using version 5.40e) that was created by 'any' earlier version the problem exists! I can only think that the saved file with the Check Beam cannot be changed to a Design Beam. (cos the sw check box has been set true - see below)

I have just tested again and I think the problem is the Auto-Add self weight checkbox.

Start Prosteel. Add beam. Enter span 5. Click auto add sw check box and the sw is added twice. (I think it thinks the default is for the sw on.)

Start Prosteel. New Project. Add Beam and the checkbox is already selected. But give a span of 5. Add a udl dead 20kn/m. Ckick on Steel tab. Change to section 254x102x25UB (Fails) and then try to change to a design UC either depth or weight and it will not change. (even save and reload wont work).

BUT! If you go through the same and uncheck the sw check box all is working ok!