Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > Structural Design - not software related > Steel design

Steel design Topics related to the design of structural steelwork to BS449 or BS5950

Old 14th March 2016, 06:35 PM   #1
john@ck

Default Cranked beams

HI,
I am new to Prosteel, and I would like to know if it is possible to design a cranked beam using the software. I design loft conversions and the need for cranked beams quite often comes up.
Thanks John@ck
john@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 04:57 PM   #2
motorphotos

Default Re: Cranked beams

Hi

as no one answered I thought I would give you my thoughts

PROSTEEL designs horizontal beams with end bearings

Once you put a crank into a beam there will be a horizontal and vertical component to the bearing at the end of the crank

the longer the crank the more the horizontal component gets (in general terms) and also the crank angle affects the horizontal and vertical loads

if you design a flat beam then put a crank in it there is a chance that this horizontal load will allow lateral movement which needs to be allowed for otherwise the beam might slide off the bearing

think roof spread where the rafters have pushed the eaves plate off the wall under.

If the crank is not too long it might be possible to use a stiffer beam which will limit deflection so if the beam cannot flex the effects of lateral movement on the bearing are limited

2d analysis software would be one option of if its a simple case have a look at kleinogal but you would need to do this by hand as these are the formulas for reactions and moments

hope this helps

motorphotos
motorphotos is offline   Reply With Quote