Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > ProSteel > User feedback and requests

User feedback and requests User comments on ProSteel and requests for future enhancements

Old 25th May 2016, 05:04 PM   #1
IWOOT

Default Multiplication (K factors)

Hi, very new, amateur spuddler. Used the superbeam software in college some x years ago and recent academics have led me here again, ProSteel, but on trying to analyse a beam requirement, possibly missing the obvious, the loads at R1 and R2 are in excess of normal maths and must be being multiplied by a factor and then subsequently the total loads are being multiplied by a factor. I thought this was the relevant safety factors but cannot seem to get the math to work. i.e 2.4*(2.7*2.9) = (R1 and R2 of) 28.19 and factored load = 39.46. Anyone help me with what point I am missing?
IWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 05:28 PM   #2
IWOOT

Default doh!

Sorry Tony, forget last post about the factors, spotted my error.
IWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 05:30 AM   #3
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Multiplication (K factors)

Glad you've sorted this. For anyone else reading this thread, ProSteel uses BS5950 so dead loads are factored by 1.4 and live loads by 1.6. so the overall factor will be somewhere between these two depending on the dead/live mix. Note that SuperBeam uses permissible stress codes so loads aren't factored. EuroBeam uses 1.35/1.5 (with optional modifiers) for dead/live loads.