Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > General > Notes from Tony's desk

Notes from Tony's desk Random thoughts from Tony Bryer

Old 17th August 2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Don't get caught!

I've just had another spam emal from EU Business Register, BOX 252 - 28020 Madrid, Spain. Their up-to-the-minute researchers think that Survey Design Associates Limited is still trading: it's more than a year since SDA was finally wound up following the transfer of SuperBeam and ProSteel to Greentram Software in 2008. It's the usual scam, fill in this nice simple form with your details to get listed by them for free. What could be simpler?

But sign the form and you're agreeing to the following, which not surprisingly is set in almost unreadable type (I wonder why). Let me help:

SIGNING IS LEGALLY BINDING AND GIVES YOU THE RIGHT OF AN INSERTION IN THE ONLINE DATABASE OF THE EU BUSINESS REGISTER, WHICH CAN BE ACCESSED VIA THE INTERNET, AND A CD-ROM WITH EUROPEAN BUSINESSES IS GRANTED, ALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONTRACT CONDITIONS STATED ON “THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INSERTION” ON WEB PAGE: WWW.EUBUSINESSREGISTER.COM. THE VALIDATION TIME OF THE CONTRACT IS THREE YEARS AND STARTS ON THE EIGHTH DAY AFTER SIGNING THE CONTRACT. THE INSERTION IS GRANTED AFTER SIGNING AND RECEIVING THIS DOCUMENT BY THE SERVICE PROVIDER. I HEREBY ORDER A SUBSCRIPTION WITH THE SERVICE PROVIDER EU BUSINESS SERVICES LTD. “EU BUSINESS REGISTER”. I WILL HAVE AN INSERTION INTO ITS DATABASE FOR THREE YEARS. THE PRICE PER YEAR IS EURO 995[£815]. THE SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY EXTENDED EVERY YEAR FOR ANOTHER YEAR, UNLESS SPECIFIC WRITTEN NOTICE IS RECEIVED BY THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR THE SUBSCRIBER TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF THE SUBSCRIPTION

Back in 2007 the Mail on Sunday http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/op...in_author_id=5 reported that the instigator of a similar scam had appointed Birmingham lawyers Wragge and Co. to pursue anyone who had signed on these forms and was not willing to pay up. It looks like they were unsuccessful but you don't want want to risk it!