Greentram Software Support Forums  

Go Back   Greentram Software Support Forums > SuperBeam > User feedback and requests

User feedback and requests User comments on SuperBeam and requests for future enhancements

Old 27th September 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Nick Jackson

Default Extra RHS* sections and solids

Hi Tony

Could you add the missing sections to the RHS* table - you seem to start at 90 x 50 x 3mm and I wish to use smaller sections.

I would also appreciate tables of solids, i.e. rounds, squares, flats, equal/unequal angles.

I find myself using the software for more than just beams these days.

Currently I am designing a staircase with cantilevered treads, manhole covers, yard drain gratings and a host of other applications.

The software is so useful its a positive pain to go back to manual methods just for the lack of materials tables.

As ever, your efforts are appreciated.

Regards

Last edited by Nick Jackson; 6th October 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Nick Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Default Re: Extra RHS* sections and solids

Thanks for the feedback and your kind comments. The very small hollow sections were omitted as not being likely to be used in construction applications but I will look to add them in to a future release. As to other section types I will bear your suggestion in mind. I would though mention that unrestrained angles can present problems since they tend to twist when loaded.
Old 6th October 2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Nick Jackson

Hi Tony,

I agree with the unrestrained angles comment except that in some circumstances it is safe to use them. The main applications where I use RSA is supporting facing stone or brick on an external wall where an I beam will not work for visibility reasons. In these applications the RSA bearings tend to be restrained by the weight of wall above. The torsion in the angle is could be specified by a moment offset similar to the load entry for columns.

What do you think?? Is this a practical request?

Regards

Nick
Nick Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Tony Bryer
Administrator

Yes, of course there's no problem with using a stocky angle over a relatively short opening. The problem of adding something like this into the program is protecting those who don't know better from themselves - unfortunately we do have a few such users.

I don't see this being implemented in the near future, but once the missing parts of EuroBeam are complete I will look at it again.
Old 16th June 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
bolection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jackson View Post
Hi Tony,

I agree with the unrestrained angles comment except that in some circumstances it is safe to use them. The main applications where I use RSA is supporting facing stone or brick on an external wall where an I beam will not work for visibility reasons. In these applications the RSA bearings tend to be restrained by the weight of wall above.
I personally would find the inclusion of RSA's very useful also. Is it likely to appear in the near future...?
bolection is offline   Reply With Quote